Legislation and Purpose
On October 31, 1998, President Clinton signed the Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-336). This Act expanded the Department of Agriculture's National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) to provide cash reimbursements for snacks served to children and youth in certain afterschool care programs. This Act demonstrates USDA's commitment to supporting afterschool activities aimed at promoting the health and well being of children and youth in our communities.
- Federal Regulations
- Child Nutrition Reauthorization 2010: Water Availability During National School Lunch Program Meal Service, 7/12/11, SP 21-2011, USDA Guidance Memo (Note question #4 under the Program Questions section addresses water availability requirement for afterschool snacks)
- FNS Letter from Under Secretary Concannon addressing questions surrounding the NSLP's new meal pattern requirements including information on calories, afterschool snack programs, and supper programs, 10/2/12
- Eligibility of Expanded Learning Time Programs for Afterschool Snack Service in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), 1/21/11, USDA Guidance Memo
- Streamlining At-risk Meal Participation for School Food Authorities, 11/29/12, SP-09-2013, USDA Guidance Memo
Programs that provide care after school hours may be eligible for USDA reimbursement for snacks served to children through age 18. To be eligible for reimbursement, afterschool care programs must meet the criteria below and as outlined in the USDA Question and Answers. The information in the document above titled 'Fact Sheet: Athletic Programs and Afterschool Meal Service' supersedes question #2 in the USDA Q&A document for eligibility.
- Provides educational or enrichment activities in an organized, structured, and supervised environment after the end of the school day, on weekends, or on holidays during the school year.
- Schools may also be eligible for reimbursement for afterschool snacks under CACFP.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
Recordkeeping Aids for the Afterschool Snack Program
- Production Record with Sample
- Alternate Production Record
- Production Record Requirements - "Must Haves" and "Nice to Haves"
- Snack Menu, Production and Meal Count Record
- Daily Snack Count Form for Area Eligible Sites
- Monthly Snack Participation Record for Non-Area Eligible Sites
- Sponsor Monitor Review Form